• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Sign in to follow this  
Nervous

Voice or text debate

Nervous    30

From these coming from GTAW, you know that I am a text roleplayer. However for RDR2 the team and myself were debating the usage of voice, as it might be more fit to RDR and its world, along with how the characters move around the world (horses).

So we're not sure yet if RDR World will be a voice or text server, and we need to hear your opinions!

• Like 3

Jaskman220    25

In my opinion, I think the server should be text-based for several factors, which I will expand:

The language: initially, not all GTAW players are English speakers, it could be said that 30% or more of the players do not have English as their primary language, when the slowness of the roleplay is written as opposed to a voice based server It usually helps these people since writing is not as complicated as pronunciation can be.

Thanks to the text, I know people who have come to play fluently without having much idea of English thanks to a translator,this without affecting the fluidity of the game.

Immersion: when interpreting a character in a text-based server, the whole idea that we conceive of a character is in its fullness in our head, that is, we indirectly imagine its actions or its voice.
In a voice-based server, the immersion could be affected positively or negatively depending on some human aspects, completely depending on the player such as, for example, the tone of voice, let's not fool ourselves, no one would like to see a sheriff or just an ex-confederate tramp with a barely mature voice.

Old school: today it is not difficult at all to find servers by voice since there are too many, such a new game combined with text I think it would make very good combo, it is not only that, GTAW has earned a name and a reputation for being Text-based, if the franchise is maintained this should be maintained as well.

Now, I will make a small scheme of the pros / cons if the server is text-based.

+Quality               

+Immersion

+Availability  (Not everyone has a microphone or can talk at all times, besides, people usually have background noises, etc, even if its Push-To-Talk)

-Slow-Paced gameplay

-Not bigger playerbase nowadays

Edited by Jaskman220
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Rinkk    13

I don't want a 12 year old with a tooth pick in his mouth shouting at me to put my hands up.

• Like 7
  • Haha 6

Lartsa    0
Just now, Rinkk said:

I don't want a 12 year old with a tooth pick in his mouth shouting at me to put my hands up.

thisss

Connor    1

Definitely text, lets keep it old school. Plus I feel like it would make more sense for RDR2.

• Like 1

Ellix    4

I think text will be much more immersive, most people just aren't going to sound like they belong in this setting.

• Like 1

Jauss    1

As much as I have always loved text based RP. I also really enjoy Voice. 

Just get an age restriction going and we should give voice a shot. Voice also offers much faster RP scenarios, which is a huge plus and could work amazingly in a world like this.

pepega    0
2 minutes ago, Rinkk said:

this tbh 

Stoned Ape    2

Honestly this shouldn't be a question, text RP allows you to roleplay whoever you want.  Voice RP limits you to your gender, let alone other limitations.

• Like 2

Bek    1

I'm fine with both, but I'm more of a  text fan. I wouldn't like hearing a Russian guy RPing black with that Russian accent lol

Menca    5

Well. I guess it could be interesting to play with voice making yourself an actor. But there are two major things already mentioned. 1) People with lack of skills won't be able to play or will be hard to understand especially if he is a MUST to roleplay with. 2) 12 y/o kiddos shouting at you already sound awful - no offence 12 year old.

Riding with a horse and writing could be indeed a huge problem. But well I guess if you can drive and type you can ride and type (Just my opinion)

Since I haven't played RDR than I can't say nothing about physics or how the game actually work.

P.S It's better to write than speak when it's night time and other family members are a sleep. Text really helps otherwise you can't play.

Edited by Menca

Brox    0

Text for sure, really struggle with voice rp, and I think most share that preference. 

lizziepup    0

As someone who can't talk, text roleplay is an absolute must for me. Voice RP will have its place, in regular online or on other RP servers the same way it has in GTA, but the reason I know World is for text.

Plus, imagine a single person playing an Asian character in the old west. With that accent. Please, no.

sperk    0

Text. Voice can just be a ground for awful RP. I don’t want a 12 year old bartender serving me whiskey and screaming slurs.

Mytrix    0

Text all the way.

There need to be a place for people with hearing and speech disabilities too... That and pretty much all the arguments already said above.

Go on Twitch and watch some GTAV voice RP... There's nothing strict roleplay about it, most people are memeing and joking on those servers, they RARELY do any serious roleplay to be fair.

HappyToker    0

Asking a text based RP community to decide between voice or text :S

Yeah nah, keep it text based, cuz voice ain't it chief

Menca    5
8 minutes ago, Nervous said:

Just as a note - If we go voice for this, it'll also be including text.

I've seen this voice + text.. It's pretty weird dumb or any other word you can think of. You talk then you write that /me command with that moment of silence it gets awkward really. But maybe I haven't seen it fully, who knows.

Artz    31
On 11/3/2019 at 11:48 PM, Jaskman220 said:

In my opinion, I think the server should be text-based for several factors, which I will expand:

The language: initially, not all GTAW players are English speakers, it could be said that 30% or more of the players do not have English as their primary language, when the slowness of the roleplay is written as opposed to a voice based server It usually helps these people since writing is not as complicated as pronunciation can be.

Thanks to the text, I know people who have come to play fluently without having much idea of English thanks to a translator,this without affecting the fluidity of the game.

Immersion: when interpreting a character in a text-based server, the whole idea that we conceive of a character is in its fullness in our head, that is, we indirectly imagine its actions or its voice.
In a voice-based server, the immersion could be affected positively or negatively depending on some human aspects, completely depending on the player such as, for example, the tone of voice, let's not fool ourselves, no one would like to see a sheriff or just an ex-confederate tramp with a barely mature voice.

Old school: today it is not difficult at all to find servers by voice since there are too many, such a new game combined with text I think it would make very good combo, it is not only that, GTAW has earned a name and a reputation for being Text-based, if the franchise is maintained this should be maintained as well.

Now, I will make a small scheme of the pros / cons if the server is text-based.

+Quality               

+Immersion

+Availability  (Not everyone has a microphone or can talk at all times, besides, people usually have background noises, etc, even if its Push-To-Talk)

-Slow-Paced gameplay

-Not bigger playerbase nowadays

I think all the points you are making are extremely valid, I also think that voice RP mostly caters to people that might stream or do YouTube. Personally it'd scare me off the server, since I'd be uncomfortable with the whole voice RP as well as the limiting factor as you also mentioned. It'd force me to only be able to play a Scandinavian immigrant, and this is my argument why. 

Could I pretend to be American? Sure, but people would not understand some of my pronounciation, which would give off a unserious vibe perhaps, as well as it'd limit my vocabulary. When doing text RP it is much easier to form a sentence and use a wider vocabulary as you have a second to think about your action, where as in voice RP the response expected is imminent and not thirty seconds from now, as it'd only slow the pace down and make it less genuine, at least in my humble opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Polleus    0
1 hour ago, Rinkk said:

This is all that needs to be said, lol. 1000000% agreed.