• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Nervous

The map debate

Nervous    31

Hello everyone, as we're still early in the creation of the server, I wish to involve everyone in participating in which part of the map we want to use, and debate it.

We'll obviously use the new map, but we don't know yet if we're going to only script parts of the map or the entire map. Feel free to debate!

• Like 1

Jaskman220    25

The main idea of location for a medium-sized community such as World should be carried out in a limited area of the map, since we could always find problems finding roleplay focus in such a wide area without limitations at first.

To begin, I would personally like to focus all the roleplay in a specific area in which, it contains all the vitals of the world of Red Dead Redemption 2 in a reduced area, whether urban and rural, with habitable areas and on the other part explorable.

Two places that could be vital to this beginning could be:

• Lemoyne
  • West Elizabeth

Starting with Lemoyne, this place has three smaller regions: Scarlett Meadows, Bayou Nwa and Bluewater Marsh.

The area is mostly characterized by the massive crawl of industrialization and unique biomes, where you can find lush forests, lakes and swamps, the city of St.Denis and some surrounding towns such as Rhodes.

ad433dd1cfae5dacff623ed2938c8f61.jpg

Resultado de imagen de st denis rdr2

Resultado de imagen de rhodes rdr2 

And second but not less important, West Elizabeth.
West Elizabeth is bigger, composed of three constituent regions: Tall Trees, Great Plains, and Big Valley. There are two major settlements in West Elizabeth: Blackwater and Strawberry.

There are also camps, ranches, and homesteads that dot within the territory, the landscape progresses from rolling grasslands in the Great Plains region through snow-capped, impassable mountains around the edges of Tall Trees.

df9e7d8dd9e11f96d18fbd62f5511156.png

Imagen relacionada

Resultado de imagen de rdr2 blackwater

Edited by Jaskman220
  • Like 5

I'll be honest, Lemoyne and West Elisabeth is all you need. You have the sprawling representation of New Orleans with the real as you can get west areas of Elizabeth, not to mention the mountain range in West Elizabeth is fucking gorgeous.

I think a combination of Saint Denis, Lemoyne, the Heart-lands, and the mountain range would suit perfectly.

• Thanks 1

Bospy    1

Lemoyne is the GOAT area. If you did RP in that area, though, it's much more "deep-south" than Wild West.

• Thanks 1

liew    13

Definitely Lemoyne and Rhodes, it's a versatile area with lots of urbanization and industrialisation to allow for a far more multicultural experience (with the mass amounts of immigration in Saint Denis which can attribute heavily to roleplay, such as racial struggles at the time and unique opportunities for minorities to roleplay in that area). There's also lots of opportunity for legal sides of roleplay too, such as the abundance of business in the city, and the factories which could provide for some great scripted jobs, or even player run businesses which could see the struggles of a class system in such a built up area  as Saint Denis.

Rhodes and the surrounding plantation areas provide perfect roleplay for those wishing to pursue a far more countryside orientated perspective of roleplay, and it includes the town of Rhodes which is perfect for small town roleplay.

Artz    31

I haven't played the game too much, so my opinion might not be as warranted as those that have played a bunch, but I honestly think that as soon as the server hits a stable 150-200 players, the entire map should be opened up, or players should perhaps be allowed to buy remote cabins or such should they wish for that, since the period is the last part of the "Wild West", even though it is dying out, in part due to the ability to move quicker over longer distances than previously, which in turn made the vast lands once considered the Wild West a place where you'd likely be able to run into a person again, instead of a place where you could risk never seeing the same person twice, but I still think that the scarcity should play in and perhaps that when on the road, you could risk travelling for a while, never seeing another player. Players will still connect around the main hubs and probably decide to keep their RP in those general areas, but for starters I think possibly limiting the "hub" to a certain area could be a good idea. 

• Like 2

lizziepup    0

Personally I'd prefer West Elizabeth since it's closer to a more Northwest feeling when Lemoyne is more Louisiana, but having the bridge between them of the left half of New Hanover (The Heartlands) to include Valentine, Emerald Ranch and some open plains to bridge the two main areas could solve that. Additionally it'd give raiders an area to do their thing without The Law getting too heavy handed, lending to an untamed wild west feeling outside of the safety of cities and towns. Having both Blackwater and Saint Denis on either end with Strawberry, Valentine, and Rhodes between them feels like the perfect spectrum of areas for all types of players.

Heading north, the Ambarino area would really only be beneficial to players playing hunters, loggers, or homesteaders, which is much more niche than the more diverse options available in the previously mentioned areas, with way too little between them to justify such a large area.

As much as New Austin would solve the problem of conflicting cultural areas between West Elizabeth and Lemoyne, there's just too much empty space without points of interest between them, that even raiders and bandits would probably feel lost on where to look for players with the vast open areas.

Ellix    4

I think it depends on how big the player base is. Until there are a good amount of people on consistently, having multiple towns and a large map could make it feel too empty, and make it harder to have natural RP interactions. Especially considering we won't have cell phones or anything like that to get in touch with people. I think a lot more of the RP will have to stem from just running into people in game. So for those purposes, a more limited map is better.

Edited by Ellix
typo
  • Like 1

Artz    31

Which is why we should also make a "meet-up" rule in my opinion. If two players are aware of each other and know each other or have had interactions, it should be allowed to poke them on Discord and say "Hey, we both frequent this area, are you gonna be on tonight and are you gonna be able to RP?" - I know it might seem a bit MG'y, but honestly that'd solve a lot of the early days problems. Also, I do apologize if I went off topic, if needed I will post it as a suggestion.

Menca    5

I don't know the map of RDR2 but I'd prefer that Wild West town that has everything in it. The wide sandy roads, salon etc etc. Then when player base will be bigger just expand the map.

Polleus    0

I have not played RDR2 but from my experience on GTAW, I would definitely suggest making the map size smaller and more condensed. As @Menca said above, knowing what kind of game this is, I would love to have it in an area that has classic Wild West feels. Saloons, shops, etc. and then maybe a surrounding city where people work, live, etc. Just keep it smaller than what GTAW has. 100%. You can always make it bigger, later if the population grows. Better to start out small and grow from it.

Edited by Polleus

2d547fcafa8bf39172b9c488d3b9b79f.png

This is what I would suggest. It confines the map, but at the same time there are still a vast amount of different terrains to cater to just about every character one might want to portray; city, swamps, grasslands, lakes and rivers, various towns and settlements, camps, the rockies, snow - it's all there.

Bryar    22

Personally, I think the whole map should be open.  This isn't some highly populated city, this is the wild west.  Towns/settlements are still popping up, and the west is only beginning. I dont think it would be extremely common to bump into somebody every two hundred yards of pathway. Some people prefer to live In the sticks, and a trip to the populated town could be a weekly thing for them.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sha'a Gi    6

Start with a few facts:

1. Travel will be a lot slower in RDRP, so the map will need be smaller to compensate if you have the same population.

2. The vanilla RDR2 map is bigger than GTAV's map.

3. Parts of the map are literally empty space with no use except for hunters, explorers and people hunting that feeling of the "Wild West" explorer.

From these facts we can assume the map will need be smaller. You will likely need Saint Denis because it has the power to condense players so somebody looking for people can almost always find them, and add a ranch, plantation, and a regular cattle town and you'll be fine. 

Senator    8
6 hours ago, lizziepup said:

skim

Yes. I completely agree, just am cautious of a huge map as it’ll lead to the police delay being forever and crimes will be overlooked unless directly witnessed so if it could be kept small for the beginning 

Gryffin    6

I'd personally say New Austin and West Elizabeth. That would provide plenty of activity in the so called "wild west" area, but also give anyone interested a chance to base their characters in a more modern area such as West Elizabeth, where towns like Blackwater are in.

Ultimately it's going to be great wherever the server will be based in primarily, but it'd be best to have the best of both worlds. 

10 hours ago, Bryar said:

Personally, I think the whole map should be open.  This isn't some highly populated city, this is the wild west.  Towns/settlements are still popping up, and the west is only beginning. I dont think it would be extremely common to bump into somebody every two hundred yards of pathway. Some people prefer to live In the sticks, and a trip to the populated town could be a weekly thing for them.  

This.

Unhallow    2
31 minutes ago, Gryffin said:

I'd personally say New Austin and West Elizabeth. That would provide plenty of activity in the so called "wild west" area, but also give anyone interested a chance to base their characters in a more modern area such as West Elizabeth, where towns like Blackwater are in.

Ultimately it's going to be great wherever the server will be based in primarily, but it'd be best to have the best of both worlds. 

Bryar    22
7 hours ago, Senator said:

Yes. I completely agree, just am cautious of a huge map as it’ll lead to the police delay being forever and crimes will be overlooked unless directly witnessed so if it could be kept small for the beginning 

Police delay?  There's no 911.  You have to report things if you live through it to do it, wanted posters go up, people form search parties.  The delay is going to be huge, and it should be.  This isn't modern day.

• Like 4

Eriks    3

Will there be NPC animals for hunting and possibly people? I would not want want to roleplay in a vast empty space and pretend to interact with the world. I think that would be a deal breaker for a lot of players.

Edited by Eriks

Senator    8
1 hour ago, Bryar said:

Police delay?  There's no 911.  You have to report things if you live through it to do it, wanted posters go up, people form search parties.  The delay is going to be huge, and it should be.  This isn't modern day.

You’re completely right but since there is a feature where everyone can just respawn, the warrant or need to pursue the perp is kinda taken away and crimes aren’t really looked into as hard

Bryar    22

Again, what warrant?  There's bounties, but how are deputies supposed to get word of the bounty all the way across the region?  Maybe a town or two, but a small sheriff posse isn't going to send someone all around the region for a small bounty of $25 or $50.  Crime is a big thing during this time, you're going to see robberies.  You're going to get mugged.  Shit's going to hit the wall, and you're basically going to have to deal with it yourself or hope that the sheriffs give a rat's ass.  This isn't a particularly great time in American history.  The law was losing for a long while during this time.  

• Like 1

liew    13
1 hour ago, Bryar said:

Again, what warrant?  There's bounties, but how are deputies supposed to get word of the bounty all the way across the region?  Maybe a town or two, but a small sheriff posse isn't going to send someone all around the region for a small bounty of $25 or $50.  Crime is a big thing during this time, you're going to see robberies.  You're going to get mugged.  Shit's going to hit the wall, and you're basically going to have to deal with it yourself or hope that the sheriffs give a rat's ass.  This isn't a particularly great time in American history.  The law was losing for a long while during this time.  

All the possibilities for privately run "detective" agencies, such as the Pinkerton Detective Agency, also offer for much more diversity and more opportunities to roleplay with this slower pace of crime and punishment in the late 1800s.

Like you said, it shouldn't BE easy for the local police departments and sheriff departments to catch perpetrators - I believe the law should be taken into the local populace's hands most of the time as that's how it pretty much was back then, and sheriffs and constables only really operated within their jurisdiction. 

However, the map should still be kept relatively small (though small in terms of RDR2's map is pretty damn big anyway). The area surrounding Lemoyne such as Rhodes and Saint Denis offer the perfect equilibrium for all types of roleplay.

• Like 4